Holistic Nutrition Expert Melissa Jones Shares Her Go Summer Foods for Radiant Skin
What inspired you to become a holistic nutritionist?
I started to develop digestive issues and IBS symptoms in may late twenties, triggered by stress and my diet. I sought the advice of a Holistic Nutritionist and was able to heal my gut. From there, it was sort of like going down the rabbit hole- there was no turning back. The more I learned, the more I loved it and wanted to share with everyone so I decided to go back to school for Holistic Nutrition. I’ve never felt more aligned with what I do until I became a Holistic Nutritionist.
What are your daily go to foods that you can’t live without?
I love my smoothies! I like to add lots of greens (like kale and spinach) and add some berries along with a green superfood powder, and vegan protein powder like SunWarrior or Genuine Health. I also try to get in some healthy fats like coconut oil or hemp oil or nuts at each meal to help balance my blood sugar levels. Raw green salads daily and lots of water are all a must! I aim to get an adequate intake of protein and fats in my diet at each meal to keep me fuelled up for the day. I also try to get leafy greens into my diet as much as possible each day to help alkalinize my body and give my body the nutrients it needs.
What are your top 5 Skin Nourishing Foods you recommend we should be eating for Summer?
As we move into the summer your body will naturally crave more fruits and vegetables that will help hydrate and cool the body, and help to replenish electrolytes. Summer is also the time to takeadvantage of the wide variety of fruits and vegetables in season.
So here are my top 5:
Not only is this fruit incredibly hydrating for the summer, it’s also loaded with Vitamin A, Lycopene (a phytonutrient), and Vitamin C to make this fruit a great source of antioxidants to help protect from oxidative damage due to free radicals.
You may or may not be surprised to see this one here as many people do not realize the nutritional value this vegetable holds. Celery is another hydrating vegetable but it is also an excellent source of Vitamin's C and K and minerals. Vitamin Kis needed for blood clotting and to maintain strong bones. Theminerals in celery are important to support the immune system and help promote optimal health.
3) Dark leafy greens such as Romaine Lettuce
Romaine lettuce is one of the more hydrating and cooling leafy greens for the summer. It’s an excellent source of Vitamins K, A and C and it’s also a great source of folate and chromium (which helps maintain blood sugar levels).
This amazing fruit contains Bromelain (a group of enzymes) to help with digestion, which is important as the summer diet tends to include more raw (vs. cooked) foods. Bromelain is also anti-inflammatory. Pineapple is an excellent source Vitamin C, and minerals such as Manganese. Manganese is essential for enzyme activity in energy production and antioxidant defences.
Another amazing fruit full of antioxidants. Raspberries are also a great source of fibre to help keep you satiated.
During the summer we are exposed to more glorious sunshine but we know that it does degrade our precious collagen - what are 3 foods that help build collagen?
1) Wild caught, coldwater fish such as salmon or if you’re vegan opt for flax oil. Both options are great sources of Omega-3 Fatty Acids which help to maintain cell membranes and reduce inflammation in the body.
2) Strawberries are an excellent source of Vitamin C which is an important water-soluble antioxidant for the body. Vitamin C plays a big role in terms of collagen production. It isessential for the activity of enzymes in the process of collagen prodcution. It helps to protect cells from free radical damage, decreases inflammation in the body, and helps to recycle Vitamin E into its active form.
3) Spinach is an excellent sourceof Vitamin A (beta carotene). Vitamin A is a fat-soluble antioxidant and is incredibly important when it comes to healthy skin as it's needed for normal cell growth and tissue repair.
Can you share with us a skin and body nourishing smoothie recipe that will keep us radiant all summer long?
Absolutely! This is one of my favourite green glow smoothies : )
The Glow Smoothie
- 1.5 cups of coconut water (you can also use coconut milk, BPA free can or carton)
- 1 cup of leafy greens (spinach or kale)
- 1 scoop of collagen powder
- 1 scoop of wheatgrass powder
- 1 tbsp of hemp oil
- 1 banana
- 1/2 cup of cubed mango
- 1/2 cup pineapple chunks
- Top with some shredded coconut and pumpkin seeds
You may add some ice to this recipe but if you use frozen fruit or greens extra ice won’t be necessary. I typically stock up on frozen organic fruit and veggies in the freezer to make smoothie prep time quicker and easier.
This smoothie is incredibly nourishing and hydrating and super yummy! The coconut water helps to replenish your electrolytes and the pineapple contains bromelain to help with digestion and therefore helps with the absorption of nutrients. Packed full of nutrients this smoothie will help get your skin glowing for summer.
Can you tell us about the 7 Day Beginner Detox and how we can get started?
We are also excited to be giving away of 3 of your 7 Day Beginner Detox E-Books on June 21st on our Instagram page.
I created this 7 day beginner detox for those who want to start shifting into a healthier lifestyle. If you are sick of feeling gassy, bloated and chronically exhausted- this program is for you! It’s not a fad diet, and it’s not about food deprivation, it’s simply about eating whole foods to help reset your body and eliminate the foods and lifestyle practices that may not be serving you. The recommendations in this book are designed to help you look and feel your very best. I’ve designed this program to be simple and easy for you.
The ebook includes:
- A complete 7 day meal plan
- 30 delicious recipes inlcuding options for breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks. All recipes are gluten free, dairy free and soy free!
- Shopping list
- Supplement recommendations
- Lifestyle recommendations
- Helpful tips including tips for success, meal prep ideas and how to stock up your kitchen.
- Program tracker
- Access to my 7 Day Beginner Detox Facebook Community
Learn more about Melissa and all her incredible offerings at www.melissajones.ca